Prevent Insect Bites
- Cover exposed skin by wearing long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and hats.
- Use an appropriate insect repellent as directed.
Higher percentages of active ingredient provide longer protection. Use products with the following active ingredients:
DEET – Repel, Jungle Formula, 3M Ultrathon, Lifesystems Expedition 50+, Tabard, Peaceful Sleep
Picaridin – Skin So Soft Bug Guard, Mosi-Guard, Ecoguard, Cutter
IR3535 - Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus IR3535 Expedition, SkinSmart
- If you are also using sunscreen, apply sunscreen first and insect repellent second.
- Use permethrin-treated clothing and gear. You can buy pre-treated clothing and gear or treat them yourself. Treated clothing remains protective after multiple washings. See the product information to find out how long the protection will last. Do not use permethrin directly on skin.
- Stay and sleep in screened or air conditioned rooms wherever possible.
- Use a bed net if the area where you are sleeping is exposed to the outdoors.
If you are bitten by insects:
- Avoid scratching the bites if possible.
- Apply anti-histamine cream or calamine lotion to reduce itching.
- If the itching persists take an anti-histamine tablet (preferably non drowsy)